I almost didn’t want to share the first image at all, but I think it’s pretty interesting to see how much the face changed. Not all ideas fit well together. There is still something off about the perspective of the head, but I was never able to figure it out. Oh well.
One thing I’m trying that’s new to me, is laying the pencils completely on their sides. This technique helps cover more of the area with white, helping push it to the foreground. Before, I used to do pretty much nothing but cross-hatching. But this sideways technique is awesome for this bigger scale I’m working with.
Not sure if it was the lack of enthusiasm for this character concept or because I just got back from a 3-day weekend in Tahoe, but I felt totally off the whole time I drew this. Oh well, I’m just gonna call it a warm-up :) Time to start ideation for my 2nd piece to an upcoming art show…
Finally introduced some color. I’m still trying to get my confidence back with this 9x12in. sketchbook so I’m sticking with poses and lighting I’m comfortable with. I used a combination of regular Prismacolor colored pencils and their Verithin colored pencils for the eyes.