these are a few ungulate head studies i did in preparation for a unicorn design. its all for a class assignment. im striving for at least one A before the semester ends. A’s are really hard to come by nowadays. for me at least. anyways, doing the studies definitely helped in combining the anatomy of both a horse and antelope/elk. this class stresses realistic creature anatomy so instead of just throwing say a goats head on a human body, (the most common way of drawing mythological creatures) were supposed to morph the anatomy in a way that evolution might make possible. the best example is the common mule or donkey. it has the combined features of a domesticated horse and a wild horse. pretty interesting when you actually study it. okay enough with the schooling. depending on how the unicorn turns out, i might post it.
this piece has been a wild ride. its been almost 2 years since ive touched my watercolors (the jimi hendrix portrait) and man did i forget how much work is put into the preliminary stages. the ending color scheme wasnt really what i was going for but i blame that on the 2 year brake i took. the blue-green in the background came out a little too green and kinda throws everything off. the only thing i was pretty satisfied with was the face, which is where i want the focus to be so i made the difficult choice to stop messin with it and leave it as it was. so here is all the preliminary work and the final. enjoy